He comprat el programari per ser part d'una solució a un problema molt específic: Que havia de migrar missatges de correu electrònic des de Thunderbird (mbox format) a Linux a Outlook 2007 en Windows 7 RC1. Jo havia estat utilitzant Firefox des de fa algun temps per recollir correu electrònic POP3 abans de començar a utilitzar Windows 7 – i per un temps jo estava corrent als dos i recollida de correu (POP3) en els clients.
This migration requires the following steps as I saw it:
1. Save .mbox files from Linux installation
Thunderbird does not offer any way to export mails so it is required to work with .mbox files
2. Convert .mbox to individual .eml files
Outlook does not offer any method for importing the .mbox format directly so another step in the process is required. I chose the special Thunderbird extention – ImportExportTools (enchanced MboxImport) a convert the .mbox to eml arxius. Note that I assumed that there would be an easy way to then bring these into Outlook 2007 although this was not to be – see next point.
To install the extension, seguir aquest procediment:
- If you are using the Windows system you can download the free mbox to eml converter and extract emails from mbox files
- Rright clicking on the link and choosing “Save target as” to Descarregar the Thunderbird addon xpi file,
- Executeu el Thunderbird, select “Tools” then choose “Addons” (or “Extensions”) and click on “Install”
- Triar l'arxiu de xpi descarregat i seguiu les instruccions
- Reiniciar Thunderbird
- After that you can use following options to save emails from thunderbird to EML files: Tools Menu > ImportExportTools or File menu > Desar missatges seleccionats
Now e-mails are exported from Thunderbird to EML files and can be imported into Outlook using Outlook Import Wizard.
3. Convert eml files to msg files OR find a way to migrate eml files directly into Outlook 2007
Windows 7 RC1 does not offer any way of importing eml files into a native mail client (for example, Windows XP has L'Outlook Express and Windows 7 Beta – Build 7000 – has Windows Mail) and since Outlook 2007 does not allow this, the only way without installing yet another mail client such as Lotus Notes, is to find another product.
Assistent per a importació d'Outlook works well as I can point it at a folder of eml files and import them into Outlook. It then brings them into Outlook in a subfolder of the destination folder specified.
If, at this point, you simply drag and drop from the subfolder into the parent folder then duplicate items may then occur. It would be good therefore if you had the option of converting the eml files to a PST file (OR point 3. below) which would then allow an import operation in Outlook – when you import a PST into Outlook you have the option of how to deal with duplicate items – such as ignore, copy regardless…
As it was I had to write some VBA script to remove the duplicate items from a number of folder.
Assistent per a importació d'Outlook – the best way to import eml files into outlook. Outlook doesn’t suport dragging and dropping of .eml files but you could use Outlook Import Wizard utility to import them into Outlook.
I understand that this is a very specific operation and the reason I needed a 3rd party application was that Thunderbird does not offer a real “export” feature and Outlook does not offer the ability to import eml files. That being said, in summary, the features below would be great in the Assistent per a importació d'Outlook – note that that the each point assumes that the preceding point is not achievable. Per exemple, if point 1 was possible then 2 and 3 would not be required in my scenario.
1. Import mbox into Outlook
2. Convert mbox to msg (EML)
3. Intelligence to remove/avoid duplicates in Outlook during an import operation (regardless of the format)
Having said the above, the product works well for what I wanted it. Thanks.